Friday, February 25, 2011

Suits

So many of the men I admire frequently wear a suit. I don't admire them BECAUSE they wear suits, but due to my upbringing around these admirable men wearings suits, suits represent admirable qualities in my mind.

Wes Anderson wears a suit. I've seen him in khakis and a t-shirt and he's still gorgeous; the same Wes I respect. But he often wears a suit. This suit-wearing man is one who is a good leader, intelligent, responsible, and respectable. Does he possess those qualities in his khakis and t-shirts? Yes. In his pajamas? Of course! In his underwear? Yeah, but I hope he doesn't show up on the set like that...it kind of nullifies those good qualities so this is where the suit comes in handy. My point is that because of how I feel about Wes, I identify those qualities with suits because he wears them a LOT. I mean, he wears blue ones with sneakers but they're still suits. There are many people like Wes who wear suits as much as Wes does, and so in my mind, the suit represents them. They've built up a good reputation for suits. Out of their suits, they are still the great men they've made themselves into; they are so great that they've made suits themselves become a symbol of intelligence, leadership, sophistication, and dignity.

Not to say that suitors (get it?) can't be slimy, devious, horrible men -- anyone can put a suit on and look good (suits make guys look good), but this is just me expressing an opinion and a feeling. Because of the high opinion I have of certain men who happen to wear suits, I have a high opinion of suits. Wearing a suit is something to live up to in my mind. There's nothing wrong with suits, though any man can wear one. Any man can be great, though he does not have a suit. But suits symbolize some good things for me, just as the rose symbolizes love and romance. Or Disney Princesses.

When I say, "Suit up!", I may mean, "Do your best!" or "Go for the gold!" or "Be the best YOU can be!", though that may not be the original meaning.
A man's personality outshines his clothing, but when a man is good, I do like seeing him in a suit. Again, because of how I've come to know suited men, I believe a good man is well-suited with a suit (preferable with a skinny tie, but that's a different story).

So, in the words of Barney Stinson, "Suit up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment